The History Press welcomes submissions from both new and established authors. If you have a great historical story to tell then we would love to hear from you.
How do I submit a proposal?
All proposals should be sent to email@example.com. Please do not email us your complete manuscript, but instead send a synopsis of no more than 200 words and a short biographical note. Please also include your full contact details - name, title, email address, postal address and telephone number.
What should the synopsis include?
The synopsis you submit should clearly demonstrate the following:
• the concept
• the target audience
• what makes your book appealing (especially important for memoirs / diaries etc.)
• the book’s unique selling points (how does it differ from a competitor’s?)
• a proposed word count
• a proposed number of illustrations (and proposed sources)
What should I put in my biographical note?
This section is your opportunity for you to tell us a bit about yourself. Please include the following:
• why you are qualified to write the book, to include details of previous publications
• involvement in societies, events and communities relevant to your subject
• any experience you have in public speaking, e.g. radio interviews or lecturing
• any links with newspapers and media that could help you market your book
What happens next?
We will review every proposal that we receive, although due to the high volume of submissions we cannot always reply to unsuccessful proposals. If we have not responded within six weeks it means we have decided not to take your proposal further. If we decide to take your idea forward, the relevant commissioning editor will get in touch and we will send you a questionnaire to learn more about you and your book.
We look forward to hearing from you.